All newly qualified teachers in Scotland must complete a period of probationary service to show that they meet the Standard for Full Registration. Meeting this standard means they can take on the demands and responsibilities of teaching.
Two routes are available to complete this probationary service:
- The Teacher Induction Scheme
- The Flexible Route
The Teacher Induction Scheme (TIS) provides a guaranteed 1-year full-time training post in a local authority to every eligible student graduating with a teaching qualification from one of Scotland’s Higher Education Institutions.
The Flexible Route is a way to complete probationary service for teachers who:
- have decided to opt out of TIS
- are not eligible to join TIS
- want the flexibility of working part-time
- want to complete their probationary period somewhere other than a Scottish local authority school
- already hold Full Registration in one or more subject(s) / sectors and are looking to gain Professional Registration in an additional subject
The Flexible Route is changing
From 1 August 2023, the Flexible Route is changing.
This will mean changes to the requirements for both new and existing probationers and for teachers who are adding a subject or sector to their existing GTC Scotland registration. Advice for them, and the headteachers who support them, is available below.
Finalised arrangements for the implementation of the policy will be published here in due course.Advice for Probationers and Headteachers on new Flexible Route requirements
More information on the routes, and the support available through probation is available in this section.