Student Application: Withdrawals and Deferrals
You can choose to withdraw from the Teacher Induction Scheme or defer your probation year.
If you decide to withdraw from the Teacher Induction Scheme prior to entering the classroom, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘TIS Withdrawal’ stating your full name, date of birth, Higher Education Institution (HEI) and reason for withdrawing. Please inform your HEI of your decision: we will confirm your withdrawal with them before taking any action. If you choose to withdraw from TIS, you can complete your probation through the Flexible Route. You cannot return to TIS once you have withdrawn.
You can request to defer your probation year before and after you have been allocated to a local authority – between May and August.
Deferral is automatically granted if you:
- are pregnant
- are not going to complete your Initial Teacher Education in time to start TIS (we are advised by your HEI)
Deferrals are decided by a GTC Scotland Panel if you:
- Have a confirmed and ongoing medical condition
- Are a delegated carer
- Are an undelegated carer
- Have exceptional personal circumstances (decided on a case-by-case basis)
- Are going on to further studies
No deferral is granted if you:
- wish to travel or teach abroad
- are moving to alternative career/job
- wish to teach in an independent sector
- are dissatisfied with your local authority or school allocation
If you are pregnant, you will need to obtain an MAT B1 form from your doctor or a letter from your midwife to confirm your pregnancy. Include a scan of this form when you submit the deferral form.
To request a deferral, complete the deferral form and send it with the subject line ‘Deferral request’ to email@example.com.