Deferral Process

There will be circumstances that make completion of the Professional Update process within the designated timescale difficult, and extensions to the 5-year sign-off period may be required.

These circumstances may include:

  • career breaks;
  • extended illness;
  • maternity/ paternity/ adoption leave;
  • occasional supply work.

If you are unable to complete the process in the designated year, then you will have the opportunity to request a deferral. You should make this request to your employer/local authority.

Deferrals will normally be granted for 1 year.

© The General Teaching Council for Scotland - Registered Scottish Charity No. SC006187
Website designed and built by mtc.