Practitioner enquiry is an area of professional learning which was highlighted in Teaching Scotland’s Future (Donaldson, 2011). It is a way forward to support teachers to become more engaged with research to support their own learning and ultimately pupil experiences.
Practitioner enquiry is evident in the Professional Standards and in Scottish Education policy. Teacher education and what it means to be a teacher in Scotland is being reconceptualised. Teachers being and becoming enquiring practitioners is at the heart of that. Practitioner enquiry consists of:
- the underpinning principles and aims of practitioner enquiry being discussed and shared;
- incorporation into the day-to-day practice of teachers and other education professionals; and
- systemic change support at all levels of the system.
Explore Practitioner Enquiry
- What is Practitioner Enquiry?
- Why Practitioner Enquiry?
- The ‘how’ of Practitioner Enquiry
- Critical Considerations