Manage your registration
Registration in Additional Support Needs
Registration in Additional Support Needs (ASN) covers the 3 to 18 years age range.
To register in ASN you need to:
- Have current full registration in Primary or Secondary (Subject)
- Hold an appropriate ASN award. This award will need to:
- be equivalent to a minimum of 60 Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF) credit points
- be at SCQF level 9 or above
- have included courses/ modules with a sufficiently broad and general content to cover pupils with a range of additional support needs, for example the Postgraduate Certificate/Diploma in Inclusive Practice
- you must have completed the award and received your certificate before starting your application for registration in ASN.
Common ASN awards we accept
|University of Aberdeen||PG Cert in Inclusive Practice|
|University of Dundee||PG Cert in Inclusive Practice|
|University of Edinburgh||PG Cert in Inclusive Education|
|University of Glasgow||PG Cert in Inclusive Education: Research, Policy and Practice|
|University of Strathclyde||PG Cert in Inclusive Education|
|University of the West of Scotland||PG Cert in Education Studies (Inclusion)|
|Queen Margaret University||PG Cert Collaborative Working: Education and Therapy|
If you have not worked in an ASN capacity, you will be asked to complete a probationary period of a minimum of 20 days. You will complete this probation through the Flexible Route process.
How do I apply?
Step 1: find an appropriate referee
First, contact a headteacher or senior leader with current Full (General) Registration with GTC Scotland who is willing to act as your referee.
Step 2: submit an application for Registration in Additional Support Needs
Complete the Application for Registration in Additional Support Needs and submit it to us with the following documents:
- Copy of ASN award certificate
- Copy of ASN award transcript (showing the courses/ modules completed during your studies)
- Details of the referee who can comment on your most recent teaching in ASN.
Your application will be assessed by a Registration Case Officer and you will be issued with the decision on your application.
Step 3: complete probationary period if required
If your application is successful:
- If you have previously worked in an ASN capacity, we may add Full Registration in your ASN to your GTC Scotland registration.
- If you have not worked in an ASN capacity, we will add Provisional Registration in ASN to your GTC Scotland Registration.
You will need to meet the requirements for Full Registration before completing a document-based Flexible Route profile. To complete this profile, you must obtain a declaration from a headteacher or senior leader who currently holds Full (General) Registration with GTC Scotland that you have met the Standard for Full Registration in respect of ASN. Full information about this is provided in the Probationer Teachers section of the website. If you have already met the requirements for Full Registration, you will be able to complete the document-based Flexible Route profile, as per above, and submit this to us once you have been awarded Provisional Registration in ASN.
For resources to support teachers and college lecturers working with pupils and students with ASN, see: