Eligibility of teachers qualified outside Scotland
Primary and secondary teachers
Teaching qualifications required
An applicant must have either
- completed teacher education equivalent to:
- one academic year of full-time study
- part-time study of 3 years of less or
- if academic and teacher education has been undertaken at the same time (e.g. a Bachelor of Education) have completed:
- full-time study of 3 or more years
- part-time study of 7 years or less.
Teaching qualifications should
Academic qualifications required
An applicant must hold a UK degree or an equivalent academic qualification. An academic qualification will be regarded as equivalent to a UK degree if it either:
- is recognised as such by the UK National Information Centre (UK ENIC); or
- includes the equivalent of:
- 120 credit points at SCQF Level 7 (or above)
- 120 credit points at SCQF Level 8 (or above) and
- 120 credit points at SCQF Level 9 (or above)
For registration in Secondary Education, an applicant must have
Scottish Credit Qualifications Framework
There are minimum criteria for Provisional (Conditional) Registration.
Modern foreign languages teachers
Teachers of modern foreign languages in Scotland are required to meet a foreign residency requirement.
Additional Support Needs (ASN) Registration
To apply for registration in Additional Support Needs, you must first be eligible for registration in either the Primary Education category or one of the Secondary Education registration categories and hold an appropriate ASN award. Find out more about ASN registration.