Teachers who work in certain contexts and work for an employer that is not validated for Professional Update (PU) can maintain full registration through engagement in PU, recording reflective professional learning through MyPL. Five-yearly confirmation can be completed through the Direct Submission (DS) Process.
The PU requirements for a DS are the same as those required of teachers working within a validated system. Individuals will be required to:
- Annually update personal details, including employment details, in your MyGTCS account;
- Engage in ongoing professional learning and PRD (if available through your employer) as appropriate to post/context;
- Self-evaluation against the appropriate GTC Scotland Professional Standards;
- Maintain an ongoing reflective professional learning record and associated evidence of impact; and
- Complete the five-yearly sign-off by following the direct submission process.
If you are not working with an employer with a PRD process validated by GTC Scotland, you can make a DS.
This includes those who are:
- Working in England, Ireland, Wales or overseas;
- Working in an Early Learning or childcare context;
- Working within education services within non-traditional contexts such as museums, NHS etc.;
- Working for a professional association or trade union; or
- Not currently working, but still engaged in professional learning.
If you are unsure if you meet the criteria for making a DS, please contact email@example.com for guidance.
If you are currently absent from work as a result of illness or maternity/paternity leave you should not make a DS. Please contact your line manager and request a deferral of your PU sign off.
Supply teachers would not normally make a DS. Every local authority employer has a process to support supply teachers through their PU and PRD process. If you need advice on who to contact for support within your local authority please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not currently on a supply register, or haven’t worked within the current academic year please contact email@example.com for guidance.