Make a referral or recommendation

If you have a concern about the safety or wellbeing of a child, please contact:  

  • Police Scotland,   
  • your local children’s social work team or   
  • the Scottish Children’s Reporter.  

Employers and former employers

Employers can make a conduct referral or competence recommendation to us about a teacher or college lecturer. In certain cases, employers have a legal duty to refer a teacher or college lecturer to us.   

Members of the Public

Members of the public can make a referral to us if they have concerns about a teacher or college lecturer’s conduct.   If they have concerns about a teacher’s competence, they should raise this with an employer.

Teachers and college lecturers can also refer themselves to us. 

Contact the police if your concern is of a criminal nature.   

© The General Teaching Council for Scotland - Registered Scottish Charity No. SC006187