GTC Scotland

The General Teaching Council for Scotland

Comhairle Choitcheann Teagaisg na h-Alba

Claiming a tax deduction on your Registration Fee

Contact HMRC to claim for a tax deduction on any registration fees paid to GTC Scotland.

The information on how to claim below was correct at the time of publishing (Feb 2020). Please contact HMRC with any questions about the tax relief process, GTC Scotland will be unable to help with these claims. The details below are based on claims for up to £2,500.

How much you can claim depends on the rate you pay tax. For example, if you spend £65 on your annual registration fee and pay tax at a rate of 20%, the tax relief you can claim is £13. You must keep records of what you have spent, and claim within 4 years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money.

How you’ll get tax relief

HMRC will usually make any adjustments needed through your tax code for the current tax year.

How to claim

You must claim using a Self Assessment tax return if you already fill one in.

If you don’t already fill in a Self Assessment tax return, fill in form P87. If you’ve made a successful claim in a previous tax year, you may be able to make your claim by phone.

For full details of tax relief for employees, visit the HMRC website.

GTCS Registration Fee for historical claims

Date Initial registration or re-registration fee Annual registration fee thereafter
1 April 2017 - 



1 April 2014 - 31 March 2017