GTC Scotland

The General Teaching Council for Scotland

Required Registration documentation - Teachers qualified in EU/EEA (not UK) or Switzerland

This information is for teachers qualified in an EU/EEA Member State (not UK) or Switzerland. If you qualified elsewhere in the UK (i.e. England, Wales or Northern Ireland) or in the Rest of the World you should go to our pages for Teachers who are qualified in the UK / Rest of World (not EU/EEA or Switzerland).

It is very important to submit all of the required documentation. Failure to do this will result in your application being delayed. It may also lead to your application being closed and destroyed. If you do not already have the required documentation to hand you will need to request this from the appropriate body/institution (e.g. teacher education institution, university, Police authority). If you are unsure about any of the required documentation or think that you will be unable to obtain this please contact us before you submit your application.

IMPORTANT - Please do not send original documents, photocopies will be sufficient.

Teachers who are nationals of an EU/EEA Member State (not UK) or Switzerland and who are legally established as fully qualified teachers in an EU/EEA Member State (not UK) or Switzerland are required to provide the following when they submit their application form for registration:

1. Non-refundable processing fee of £65.

2. Proof of nationality (e.g. Personal details page of passport or ID card).

2. Certificate of teaching qualification (stating full title of qualification and the award date). If you are a newly qualified teacher and haven't been issued with a certificate yet please see the advice below. Please do not submit an application if you have not been awarded your teaching qualification yet.

3. Transcript of teaching qualification (showing all courses studied during your qualification). NB a Diploma Supplement which includes this information about your teaching qualification can be accepted in lieu of a transcript.

4. Evidence of teaching employment (only required if teaching is unregulated in your Member State or you have a non-EU/EEA teaching qualification that has been recognised by an EU/EEA Member State or Switzerland - see Eligibility for details) - e.g. copy of employment record issued by local education authority in Member State where you are qualified or teaching references on official school paper/signed by Head Teacher or other senior member of staff.

5.Official certified translations of all documents (if applicable). If your documentation is in a language other than English, you must supply photocopies of this documentation in the original language and certified English translations (prepared and certified by an accredited translator). This does not apply to your passport. A translation of your birth certificate will also not normally be required. However, we reserve the right to request that you provide your own translation of your birth certificate if we feel that this is appropriate in your own particular case.

The Association of Translation Companies can provide information about translation companies.

6.Nomination of a referee who can comment on your most recent teaching service. If you have not taught since completing your teaching qualification you should nominate a character referee instead.

For further information on the type of reference we can consider, please refer to the Application for registration references section.

7. Overseas criminal record checks. If you were born overseas and lived there until adulthood or have spent more than 3 months outside the UK in the last 10 years you should obtain an overseas criminal record check confirming that you do not have a criminal record in said country. We will require a national check for the specific country e.g. FBI or RCMP checks. If this applies to you, you must obtain this document before you submit your application. Some countries can take several months to issue a certificate.

For further information on the PVG Scheme and overseas criminal record checks, view our dedicated page which can be found in our Useful Links section.

8. Documentation in support of a name change (if applicable)

9. Birth certificate.

Newly Qualified Teachers: if you have recently been awarded a teaching qualification but have not yet been issued with your teaching qualification certificate you should provide an official statement from your teacher education institution (e.g. University faculty of education) instead, giving the following information:

  • the date on which you passed the qualification
  • that you are not subject to any appeals process
  • that there are no known impediments to you being issued with your teaching qualification certificate at graduation

Enforceable Community Rights

If you are not an EU/EEA or Swiss national but believe you may have Enforceable Community Rights (e.g. you are the family member of an EU/EEA or Swiss National who is exercising their right to free movement within the EU/EEA) you should contact us before submitting an application. This is so that we can advise you on what documentation you will need to include with your application.


If you qualified outside Scotland and wish to discuss any part of the application process, you should contact Registration Services on:

T: +44 (0)131 314 6000