GTC Scotland

The General Teaching Council for Scotland

Comhairle Choitcheann Teagaisg na h-Alba

Required Registration documentation - College Lecturers qualified in UK or the Rest of World

This information is for college lecturers qualified elsewhere in the UK (i.e. England, Wales or Northern Ireland) or outside of the European Union/European Economic Area (EU/EEA). If you qualified in another EU/EEA Member State or in Switzerland you should go to our page for Teachers who are fully qualified in another EU/EEA Member State (not UK) or in Switzerland.

It is very important to submit all of the required documentation. Failure to do this will result in your application being delayed. It may also lead to your application being closed and destroyed. If you do not already have the required documentation to hand you will need to request this from the appropriate body/institution (e.g. teacher education institution, university, Police authority). If you are unsure about any of the required documentation or think that you will be unable to obtain this please contact us before you submit your application.

IMPORTANT - Please do not send original documents, photocopies will be sufficient.

College lecturers who have qualified in the UK and Rest of the World (not EU/EEA or Switzerland) are required to send the following documents along with the application form:

1. Non-refundable processing fee of £65.

2. Certificate of initial teacher education qualification

3. Official transcript of initial teacher education qualification. This is a breakdown of the subjects/courses studied during your teacher education qualification. It should include details of your teaching practice. If you completed an in-service initial teacher education qualification you should also provide documentation to confirm this. NB if your teaching qualification was awarded in the UK we can accept a Diploma Supplement or HEAR in place of a transcript.

4. Official documentation from the Teacher Education Institution confirming age range in years covered by initial teacher education qualification. This must be issued by the university/college where you completed your teaching qualification. NB with regards to the age range information, documentation which simply states the age range phase e.g. "Further Education", "Post-Compulsory Education" will not be accepted in lieu of this.

5. Official certified translations of all documents (if applicable). If your documentation is in a language other than English, you must supply photocopies of this documentation in the original language and certified English translations (prepared and certified by an accredited translator). This does not apply to your passport. The Association of Translation Companies can provide information about translation companies.

For further information on the PVG Scheme and overseas criminal record checks, view our dedicated page which can be found in our Useful Links section.

6. Nomination of a referee who can comment on your most recent teaching service. If you have not taught since completing your teacher education qualification you should nominate a character referee instead.

For further information on the type of reference we can consider, please refer to the Application for registration references.

7. Overseas Criminal Record Check (if you were born overseas and lived there until adulthood or have spent more than 3 months outside the UK in the last 10 years).

8. Documentation in support of a name change.

9. Birth certificate.

10. Personal details page of passport.


If you qualified outside Scotland and wish to discuss any part of the application process, you should contact Registration Services on:

T: +44 (0)131 314 6000