The General Teaching Council for Scotland

Enhancing professionalism in education since 1965

Qualified in Scotland

If you were awarded a teaching qualification from a Scottish university or education institution in Primary or Secondary education, you may be eligible for registration. It is a legal requirement for any teacher to be registered with us whilst teaching in a Scottish state school.

To register with us, please Request an Application Pack. This contains an Application for Registration with the Council to ensure that our records are correct and up to date.

You will be asked to join the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme. If you were already a member of the scheme you will have an update processed, this is known as an Existing PVG Scheme Member Application.

If you have spent three months or more (in a single period) in a non UK country in the last ten years, we will also require an overseas police check.

Once the registration process is complete, you will receive confirmation of your registration with us and your registration number.

If you are a student currently undertaking your teaching course in a Scottish university or education institution, you will need to apply for registration first. Please note the application date for the 2017/18 teacher induction year has now passed. The next window will be opening in early November 2017 and students will be informed via text message. Please check the In2Teaching - Students site for more information. If you have any questions please contact


Registration Services

T: +44 (0)131 314 6000