IN THIS SECTION
This information only applies to teachers and Further Education (FE) lecturers who have qualified outside of Scotland.
Our Registration Assessors assess all applications from teachers and FE lecturers qualified outside of Scotland.
How much does it cost to register?
The total cost of registering with GTC Scotland as a teacher qualified outside of Scotland is normally £179. This amount breaks down as follows:
|Processing Fee (non-refundable)||£60|
|PVG Scheme membership*||£59|
|Initial Registration Fee||£60|
You will only be required to pay for PVG Scheme membership and the Initial Registration Fee if your application for registration is successful.
*If you are already a member of the PVG Scheme, and this is for working with children, you will only be required to complete a short scheme check at a cost of £18. However, if any new information appears on the short scheme check, you will be required to have a full record check at an additional cost of £41.
The Processing Fee and the Initial Registration Fee are two separate fees.
How we assess
When your application arrives we will check that you have submitted all of the required documentation and contact your nominated referee(s). We will send you an acknowledgement letter and a copy of the appropriate PVG form for completion. If any documentation is missing from your application, we will also remind you to submit this - this will delay the assessment of your application as it will not be passed to a Registration Assessor until all of the required documentation has been received.
Once we have all of the required documents and your completed PVG Scheme application form, a Registration Assessor will assess your qualifications to make sure that these meet the academic and professional requirements for registration. It may be necessary at this stage for the Registration Assessor to request additional information from you. Your Registration Assessor will wait for your referee report(s) to arrive before making an offer of registration. Because of this, it is important that you check with your referee that they are willing to provide a report and that you provide us with accurate contact details.
Once an assessment of your qualifications and referee report has been made you will receive a final decision. If your application is successful, you will be offered one of two types of registration available:
- Provisional registration - this is the most commonly offered type of registration and normally involves completing a period of probation of up to 270 days of full time equivalent (FTE) teaching service (up to 190 days for Further Education)
- Full registration - this type of registration may be offered where it has been possible to take previous relevant teaching service in lieu of the full 270 days period of probation and both QTS and Induction have been obtained in England, Wales or Northern Ireland (Primary and Secondary teachers only)
At this point your application for PVG Scheme membership will be processed and the £59 PVG fee will be deducted.
Registration may be offered in one or more sectors or subject areas and is subject to receipt of the following:
- PVG Scheme application result through Disclosure Scotland
If we offer you registration you will be asked to pay an initial registration fee of £60. Once we receive payment, we will send you a registration pack containing:
- your GTC Scotland registration number
- information on your probationary service and additional requirements (if applicable)
- your Certificate of Registration (provisional or full depending on what type of registration you have been offered)
If we are unable to offer you any form of registration, your application will be refused and you will receive written reasons for this decision. We will not process your PVG application if this happens and you will therefore not be charged the corresponding fee.
Your right to appeal
All candidates have the right to appeal against the decision on their application. You will be informed in writing once a decision has been made. You will then have 28 days from the date of our correspondence to lodge an appeal in writing if you are unhappy with that decision.
For more information, please contact:
T: +44 (0)131 314 6000
Methods of payment:
We accept payment by the following methods:
- Cheques (in Sterling) made payable to "GTC Scotland"
- Sterling Bankers Draft (drawn on a UK bank)
- Credit/Debit card