Assessment Process - Teachers qualified in an EU/EEA Member State (not UK) or in Switzerland
Our Case Assessors assess all applications from teachers and FE lecturers qualified in EU/ EEA Member States or Switzerland.
How much does it cost to register?
The total cost of registering with GTC Scotland as a teacher fully qualified in an EU/EEA Member State (not UK) or Switzerland is normally £189. This amount breaks down as follows:
|Processing Fee (non-refundable)
|PVG Scheme membership*
|Initial Registration Fee
You will only be required to pay for PVG Scheme membership and the Initial Registration Fee if your application for registration is successful.
*If you are already a member of the PVG Scheme, and this is for working with children, you will only be required to complete a short scheme check at a cost of £18. However, if any new information appears on the short scheme check, you will be required to have a full record check at an additional cost of £41.
How we assess
When your application arrives we will check that you have submitted all of the required documentation and contact your nominated referee(s). We will send you an acknowledgement letter and a copy of the appropriate PVG form for completion. If any documentation is missing from your application, we will also remind you to submit this - this will delay the assessment of your application as it will not be passed to a Case Assessor until all of the required documentation has been received.
Once we have all of the required documents and your completed PVG Scheme application form, a Case Assessor will contact the competent authority for teachers in your Home Member State to obtain confirmation of your teaching qualification, including the age range and subject areas that you are permitted to teach in your Home Member State. Your Case Assessor will also be waiting for your referee report to arrive before making an offer of registration. As you will not be made an offer of registration until your referee report has arrived it is it is important that you check with your referee that they are willing to provide a report and that you provide us with accurate contact details.
Once your qualifications have been confirmed and your referee report has been received, you will receive a final decision on your application. If your application is successful, you will be awarded one of two types of registration:
- Provisional registration - this is the most commonly awarded type of registration and normally involves completing an adaptation period of up to 270 days of full time equivalent (FTE) teaching service (up to 190 days for Further Education). An adaptation period will be necessary if there are shortfalls in the professional areas covered by your qualification and/or where you have not completed an induction period of teaching which is comparable to the probationary service which teachers are required to complete in Scotland in order to be awarded Full Registration
- Full registration - this type of registration may be awarded where there are no shortfalls in the professional areas covered by your qualification, you have already completed an induction period of teaching which is comparable to the probationary service which teachers are required to complete in Scotland in order to be awarded Full Registration
At this point your application for PVG Scheme membership will be processed and the PVG fee will be deducted.
Registration may be awarded in one or more sectors or subject areas and is subject to receipt of the following:
- PVG Scheme application result through Disclosure Scotland. Please note that even where PVG Scheme membership is granted, should any information be noted on your record of PVG Scheme membership this would have to be investigated by our Fitness to Teach Department. In such circumstances registration with the GTC Scotland can only be granted upon a decision being taken through the Fitness to Teach process that you are entitled to register.
If we award you registration you will be asked to pay an initial registration fee of £65. Once we receive payment, we will send you a registration pack containing:
- your GTC Scotland registration number
- information on your adaptation period and additional requirements (if applicable)
- your Certificate of Registration (provisional or full depending on what type of registration you have been offered)
If we are unable to award you any form of registration (e.g. if you are not recognised as being fully qualified in your Home Member State or your qualification does not match up with any of the categories of registration which exist in Scotland), your application will be refused and you will receive written reasons for this decision. We will not process your PVG application if this happens and you will therefore not be charged the corresponding fee.
Your Right to Review
If we award you registration but not to the extent you wished you have the right to ask for the decision to be reviewed by a Registration Panel. Further information can be found under Right to Review for Applicants for Registration.