Student Placement System
Back to Home
In June 2012, GTC Scotland assumed responsibility for the system of placing students undertaking Initial Teacher Education courses into schools. For the past eight years this has been done through the Practicum system. Practicum has now been completely replaced by the new Student Placement System (SPS) which went live on 19 May 2014.
The new system incorporates:
- The facility to calculate journey times by both private and public transport
- Ability to match students to suitable schools according to University set criteria
- A set of processes and procedures which will ensure that Local Authority Coordinators maintain control and management of their placements
- A number of automated processes within the system to facilitate efficient and transparent communication through the use of automated emails
- The facility to run statistical reports allowing for analysis and trend spotting
- A dedicated training environment for users
- The creation of dashboard style interfaces for different user roles to facilitate data management and system processes
SPS is designed to be intuitive and highly user-friendly, able to integrate with other GTCS systems and processes whilst coping with new models for placing students which are important because of the changing landscape within Scottish education, post‑Donaldson.
The Student Support Team centrally manage the system and are on hand to answer queries and provide support and guidance to users. On-site training will also be arranged as required.