IN THIS SECTION
An election will take place later this year to fill 11 of the 19 registered teacher seats on the fully independent GTC Scotland Council for a four year term.
A by-election will also be held to fill an interim registered teacher Council seat vacancy for a two year term.
Registered teachers elected to the Council will take up office on 2 April 2016.
The table below under Election/Voting Categories sets out the categories in which teachers are to be elected in the 2015/16 Council election.
View more information on the Council:
What you need to know
For the first time:
- voting in the 2015/2016 Council election will take place solely online.
- an email with a unique PIN and link to the secure and independent voting website will be sent to each registrant to enable them to cast their vote online.
Printed ballot papers containing a PIN and candidate information will no longer be issued to registrants.
This reflects the Council's aim to be environmentally friendly and cost efficient in line with our organisational values and our financial strategy.
What you need to do
- we hold an up-to-date email address for you so that you receive information about the election, candidates and your unique PIN to enable you to vote.
- you are in the correct election/voting category in order to stand for election or vote.
Update your details online
By logging into MyGTCS or by signing up for a MyGTCS account you can:
- add an email address or update your email address.
- request a change to your election/voting category.
The table below sets out the categories in which 11 teachers are to be elected for a four year term and one teacher is to be elected for a two year term:
|No of election category||Codes||Election category||Council members to be elected for a four year term||Council members to be elected for a two year term||Qualifications of persons entitled to nominate candidates and to vote|
|I||"P" & "PHT"||Teachers (including headteachers) in primary schools or nursery schools in Scotland||*5||*1||**Registered teachers in primary schools or nursery schools in Scotland|
|II||"S" & "SHT"||Teachers (including headteachers) in secondary schools in Scotland||*4||**Registered teachers in secondary schools in Scotland|
|III||“F”||Teachers/lecturers in the further education sector in Scotland||1||Registered teachers/ lecturers in the further education sector in Scotland|
|IV||“T”||Teachers/lecturers in universities in Scotland providing courses of Initial teacher Education||1||Registered teachers/ lecturers in universities in Scotland providing courses of Initial Teacher Education|
|* 1 seat will be reserved to those employed as headteachers within each of these categories.|
** In each of these categories a registered teacher (whether a teacher or headteacher) may nominate and/or vote for a teacher or headteacher.
How are you allocated to an election/voting category?
It is a requirement of the Election Scheme that all teachers on the register must be allocated to an election/voting category.
- An elector must be a teacher whose name is on the GTCS register and who has paid the registration fee on 9 December 2015.
- An elector is eligible to vote only in the election/voting category entered against the elector's name in the register at the qualifying date of 9 December 2015.
- A teacher who, on the qualifying date of 9 December 2015, is not employed in any election/voting category may vote in one of these categories:
- if the teacher has been employed at any time in that category;
- if the teacher holds a teaching qualification or registration in a sector which would enable the teacher to be employed in that category.
- to their teaching qualification or registration sector;
- to the category of school or educational establishment (primary or secondary) in which currently or previously employed.
Key Election 2015-2016 diary dates
|17 August 2015||Election advertised; nomination papers available online or on request.|
|22 September 2015 (17:00)||Closing date for receipt of nomination papers; by this date all candidates must be in the correct election category.|
|9 December 2015||Closing date for electors; by this date all electors must be in the appropriate election category.|
|13 January 2016||Emails with ballot instructions and unique PIN sent to registrants to enable them to vote online.|
|5 February 2016||Closing date for receipt of votes online.|
|10 February 2016 (or as soon as possible after this date)||Publication of results.|
|16 and 17 March 2016||Induction meetings of the new Council.|
|2 April 2016||New Council members take up office.|
Allocation of Headteacher Reserved Seats
Two seats within each of the primary/nursery and secondary school election categories are reserved to those employed as headteachers (ie who within a period of two years ending on the candidate qualifying date (for this election - 22 September 2015) have been employed on a part-time or full-time basis in that capacity) within either category.
The headteacher reserved seats will be allocated on the following basis:
- If the number of headteacher candidates standing in an election category does not exceed the number of reserved headteacher seats vacant in that category, the Returning Officer will declare those candidates to be elected to the reserved headteacher seats.
- If the number of headteacher candidates standing in the election category exceeds the number of reserved headteacher seats vacant in that category, the reserved headteacher seats will be filled by those headteacher candidates credited with the greatest number of votes in the election.
Any headteacher candidate not so elected to a reserved headteacher seat will be entitled, in accordance with the Election Scheme, to be elected to any other vacant seat in their election category.
- If there is no headteacher candidate to fill a reserved headteacher seat within an election category, the seat will be treated as an interim vacancy to be filled in accordance with the Election Scheme and Election Policy.
For further information on the role and commitment required of a member of the Council, the election process or if you require information to be provided in an alternative format, please contact:
Lisa Dobie, Council and Panel Support Manager
T: +44 (0)131 314 6021