Teaching in Scotland is an all graduate profession. There are nine education institutions offering programmes of initial teacher education and entry requirements can be found under each institution website.
Accreditation of Initial Teacher Education programmes
We are responsible for reviewing and maintaining the standards of education provided by each education institution. We do this by regularly reviewing and accrediting the courses provided by each education institution.
The main purposes of accreditation are to:
- ensure the professional appropriateness of programmes
- ensure compliance with statutory requirements
- provide objective information about the quality of programmes
- determine and advise on approval of programmes
- inform policy
- stimulate enhancement of the quality of provision
Following an approach from and on the advice of the Universities offering Initial Teacher Education programmes in Religious Education the specific requirements for that subject have been revised and approved at our Council meeting on 16 September 2015. The Board of Catholic Education also offered comments on the requirements for Religious Education for Roman Catholic schools and expressed agreement with the text approved by Council.