#1minPL - About Professional Update
The key principles of Professional Update for teachers are:
- A responsibility to consider their development needs.
- An entitlement to a system of support professional review and development.
- Confirmation that they have maintained the high standards required of a teacher in Scotland’s educational establishments.
As part of this process, teachers in Scotland are required to engage in professional learning, self-evaluate this learning using the Professional Standards, and maintain a record of this learning using their online profile on MyGTCS.
Importantly, Professional Update is an ongoing process, which includes the following elements:
- An annual update of your details held on the register by GTC Scotland including checking your personal and employment details are up to date
- Engagement in ongoing professional learning
- Self-evaluation against the appropriate GTC Scotland Professional Standard(s)
- Discussion of this engagement and the impact of this, as part of the PRD process
- Maintain a reflective professional learning record and associated evidence of impact
- 5-yearly confirmation of this engagement to GTC Scotland (Professional Update sign-off process).
Click on the link to find out more:
About Professional Update